About Second Chance
Second Chance is a client-oriented re-entry case management program. We work to identify and target criminogenic needs and risks in order to effectively reduce the risk of re-offending.
We utilize intensive, one-on-one case management to establish realistic personal goals that are consistent with probation and parole requirements. Our goal is to help reduce common transition barriers, promote successful re-entry back into the community, and assist clients in achieving self-sufficiency.
What We Do
Second Chance helps qualifying clients by providing the following services:
Job Readiness Training
- Access to felon-friendly employers in the Kansas City Metro area
- Basic resume and cover letter building skills
- Interviewing skills – e.g. how to explain your offense to a potential employer
- Transportation assistance
- Referrals for clothing, work boots, and other employment services
- Access to felon-friendly landlords in the Kansas City Metro area
- One-time financial assistance for 1st month’s rent or deposit
- Tenant Rights and Responsibilities class
- Referrals for furnishing assistance
*income guidelines apply
Probation/Parole and Personal Needs
- Community Service fee assistance
- Positive officer/client relationship reinforcement
- Access to substance abuse and/or mental health programming
- Access to education programs (GED/diploma, on-the-job training, higher education)
- Access to basic health needs (eye glasses, prescriptions, etc.)
Clients must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a resident of Kansas City, Missouri – Jackson County
- Must be on Missouri State Probation or Parole, regardless of the offense
- Must be referred by Probation or Parole Officer
- Must have active attendance and participation in Job Club
Job Club is a weekly job readiness class set to enhance the employability of those who have been involved with the criminal justice system. Instructors are trained in offender workforce development and have created a curriculum that is designed for the ex-offender population. Each week, we review employers who are “felon-friendly” and hiring in the Kansas City area and discuss real-life employment skills, such as explaining a criminal background during an interview.
Join us at one of our upcoming sessions! Contact us for more details.